Sunday, April 15, 2012

North Seeth Oust and West

When Sara and I were planning which countries we wanted to visit prior to our trip, I wasn't too excited for the Thailand part of it. I was looking forward to Vietnam, Malaysia and the less common places to travel. 'Everyone goes to Thailand!' is what I was thinking..  I half expected the cities to be full of young backpackers who are just here to party. But I have been pleasantly surprised and the last 2 weeks in Northern Thailand were AMAZING! Ive definitely been having way more fun than anyone reading this blog!

I found these two along the way! YAY!


We discovered some natural hotsprings in the middle of the jungle just outside of Pai. It was actually the most magical place I have ever seen. The little city of Pai was also incredibly cute. It is just like Nelson, one of my favourite cities back home. And we rented motorcycles!



For the Thai New Year they celebrate (for 5 days!) by having a massive, never-ending water fight. Here in Chiang Mai everyone is equipped with hoses, buckets or waterguns attached to water tank backpacks and I havent been dry in almost a week!

Annnnd, we rode elephants, and hiked in the jungle to a village where the people cooked us amazing pumkpin curry and gave us a few too many shots of their homemade rice wine.



We went rafting down a river on a long bamboo raft. It was only a few peices of bamboo tied together so I was slightly terrified. I decided it would probably be illegal in Canada.

We danced our faces off at a live show. A fun Thai jazzy band. Awesome!

We learned how to make curries and pad thai and soups! And we were allowed to eat everything!! 



We floated paper sky lanterns!



We spent HOURS walking through markets, buying funny socks and making sure we tried every food stall. Steamed buns shaped like farm animals, gyozas, spring rolls, mini fried quail eggs, VERY spicy mango salads, cupcakes, lots of food on sticks, crunchy tubes that taste like kettle corn, deepfried sandwiches, and fried Crickets!! Which didnt taste bad with our seaweed chips and Chang beers.





 Jack and Jill chips!

Today Jess and Jill left for Laos. Have so much fun I MISS YOU ALREADY! And tonight Sara and I are heading to Krabi, in the southern part of Thailand. YAY beaches!

1 comment:

  1. So where else are you heading after Thailand?
    How much longer are you in Thailand?

    I have a very close friend that is Thai, he lives in Bangkok. Actually he lived in Kelowna for a number of years. His family owns the Thai restaurant in Kelowna in Orchard Plaza. His name is Vorachoat his email is vorachoat@hotmail.com. He would be very happy to show you around. Your grandma actually met him at my wedding he was one of the ushers.

    Anyways, he is a good Christian friend of mine so I totally trust him. Here's his photo at my wedding: http://www.sunnydrew.net/sunny-and-drew/Photos/Pages/Wedding_Preparation.html#70

    Anyway, if you are in Bangkok before you leave the I know he would be pleased to show you around a bit. He works at an ESL school there. I will let him know that you might email.

    Cheers and have a great time. Are you going to Korea? If you are can surely let you know some places you should visit and have some in-laws that would love to show you around.

    Take care and post more!
    Your cousin, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete