Sunday, April 1, 2012

That guy looks like Jackie Chan!

Dear Hanoi,
You have been my favourite spot in South East Asia during this last month of travelling. I'll miss wandering aimlessly down your medieval streets in the Old Quarter. I'll miss racing through the traffic on the backs of motorcycles. I'll miss your shoe district. I'll miss your apple pears, your eggplant claypot, your bar peanuts, your sweet and salty popcorn, your coconut cream-filled buns (especially your coconut cream-filled buns) your smoothie lists, and your baguettes filled with shredded veggies, cucumbers, a fried egg and chili sauce (otherwise known as a Banh My, definitely my favourite street food in Vietnam). I'll miss the most amazing coffee I have ever had in my life from Cong Caphe. I'll miss your Megastar Movie Theater. I'll miss your night markets and bargaining for absolutely everything i bought. I'll definitely miss the chocolate buffet feast at the Metropole, I have never experienced happiness like that before. I'll miss the funny things people load onto the backs of their motorcycles (goats, pigs, chickens, their family of 6, dozens of bags of koi fish), I'm going to miss this city so much, it is literally pulsing with life and the people here are so friendly! I feel like I say that everywhere I go but its different here! Hanoi is a completely different world.
I promise to visit again one day. Dont change.

Love, Nicole

Also, thank you Mary for showing us around Hanoi and to all your secret places. It was amazing being able to experience the city in a non-tourist sort of way. Thank you for teaching us the transit, how to barter properly, finding me some hummus, how to cross the streets, and how to say a few things in Vietnamese. Asking politely for hot porridge will come in handy one day!

Here are some phone pictures taken during our wonderful week in Hanoi. 
Ill start off with the chocolate buffet.
Thats only 3 of the 4 plates I ate. I also forgot the picture of the homemade icecream.

In the middle of Saturday morning traffic. You should see what rush hour is like here. 
 
 
Sailing through the 1969 islands of Halong Bay!

Making pottery in the Pottery Village with new friends!


Farewell Vietnam!



No comments:

Post a Comment